Monday, August 4, 2014

Squash and bikes




We volunteered to hand out produce for the Northern Lakes food bank. I don't know the process for  obtaining the produce (probably donated) or how the people got vouchers but I do know we kept trying to talk them into taking more and more because there was a lot of produce!. This is the first time for the produce pick up in this area and no one knew if very many would come. But it was in the same neighborhood where the people lived instead of at the food bank building so much handier for the people who came. There was squash, onions, cucumbers, plums, watermelon, strawberries, and green beans.  I saw two very memorable things: a man came twice driving a white car.  The first time he picked up food for himself and his sister.  Pretty soon he was back driving his cousin. Meanwhile we were helping to pack up produce for a woman and her daughter who had walked from their apartment.  There was no way they could carry all their food all the way back. . But they started off and then I noticed the man in the white car stopping to offer her ride.



My other memorable thing is when Ron would challenge a 6 or 7 year old to see if they were strong enough to carry a watermelon!  This resulted in big smiles! This happened quite a few times.  So cute.  People were so grateful and even though. I only donated my time, it was really satisfying.

On Saturday we drove up North to a place called Hibbing (where Greyhound Bus Lines started) and where there is a great bike trail called the Mesabi Trail and an organized bike ride. Ron has been riding quite a bit and thought he was up for 33 miles on this trail, and he was! It was  perfect weather and he enjoyed meeting new people .  Meanwhile, I went to three quilt shops in the area. I enjoyed meeting quilters and new fabrics.  The Minnesota shop hop has 70 shops divided into areas and I planned to complete one area.  The distances were longer than they looked on the map, so I did only three shops.  I felt like I spent the whole day driving through the forest!  But I do know someone who was going on a bus and was going to visit all 70 of the shops! I can't believe that I don't have any pictures to post!  It was very fun and yes, I bought fabric!  I finished in time to pick up Ron at the finish line.


We stayed Saturday night in Grand Rapids, MN so we could  attend the branch yesterday.   Ron had talked to the clerk at the motel when checking in about his name tag and serving a mission.  He later marked  a Book of. Mormon and gave it to him.. On Sunday he told the Elders to go see him.  Real missionary work!
Every morning we study together for an hour and since the course for Seminary is Doctrine and Covenants/Church History that is what we are studying. I have felt the Spirit so many times as we study together.  It has gotten to be my favorite time of the day.





Yes, he wore his name tag.

I knew that going on a mission blesses the lives of the missionaries and their family.  I had some expectations about the blessings. Instead, the a Lord sends blessings that are His own idea. You would think I'd have learned this by my age!


One day we got a check in the mail, news of a donation to our mission and  a refund.  All in one day! And the next day we got a big package!

Life is good in Duluth! (they should put that on their license plates)



1 comment:

  1. It seems we are getting better and better at sharing food and the gospel.

    ReplyDelete